«

»

Feb 27 2012

A Few Good Reads (2/27/12): CVFPP Impact on Farms

This week: Final year of the river video from American Rivers, CVFPP impact on farms, the bare levee policy in California, NOAA breaking ground on new water center, and some tips on how to fight work burn out.

 Commentary: Board needs to hear about flood plan [CVFPP] impact on farms (AgAlert)

Of this approximately 40,000-acre footprint, the draft flood plan indicates that 25 percent—about 10,000 acres—would become permanent habitat and no longer be farmed. According to the draft plan, the remaining 75 percent—about 30,000 acres—would remain farmable, subject to flood easements and seasonal flooding, similar to farming in the existing Sutter and Yolo bypasses.

Editorial: Bare levee policy must be changed (Chico Enterprise-Record)

It’s especially dumb in California, where so much riparian habitat has been destroyed that many of the species that rely on it have been listed as endangered or threatened. Levee vegetation is a major part of the surviving habitat critical for their survival…

So in this case, the idea of taxpayers paying for a couple of sets of lawyers to battle it out in a taxpayer-supported courtroom might be the best solution. It’d certainly be cheaper than the estimated $7 billion cost of removing all the vegetation along California’s levees.

What a Difference a Year Makes on the Colorado (John Fleck)

But things appear to be headed back in the other direction. On its face, the effect is clear. After rising with last year’s big snowpack, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, the Colorado River’s two largest reservoirs, are forecast to drop a collective 42 feet in surface elevation over the next year, according to the latest forecast from the US Bureau of Reclamation.

NOAA Breaks Ground on National Water Center (Spatial Sustain)

Today, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) breaks ground on a $18.8 million National Water Center on the campus of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. The national center aims at improving forecasting and reporting of drought, floods, and other water crises to improve policy.

Civil Engineers and Architects: Work Burn-Out. Get Motivated! (civilengineeringcentral)

Work burnout is not only a problem for you, but the effects on your projects, colleagues, department, company and clients can be irreparable. Getting back to work with true enthusiasm can be a job in itself, but is critical no matter what your financial state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>